He studied at the National Art School, in Sydney and at the New York Studio School.
SiBR> Collections in New York, Japan and Australia.
Selected awards include Elizabeth Foundation for the Arts, Grant for Painting (1999), Gottlieb Foundation Emergency Grant (1999), New York Foundation for the Arts, Fellowship in Painting (1994) and Marten Bequest Travelling Art Prize (1978).
- Open Mic: Occupy, Sideshow Gallery, Brooklyn, New York
- Bushwackers, Bushwick Open Studios, Queens, New York
- Joy Taylor and Garry Nichols, Imogene Holloway Gallery, Saugerties, NY
- The Mysteries of Love and Life, Thompson Giroux Gallery, Chatham, NY
- Surrealism, Factory Fresh, Brooklyn, New York
- Bushwick Open Studios, Brooklyn, New York
- 7 New York Painters, Brik Gallery, Catskill, NY
- 10 Day Special showing of Large Works, Yes Gallery, Brooklyn, NY
- Its All Good: Apocalyse Now, Sideshow Gallery, Brooklyn, New York
- Tasmanian Devil, Yes Gallery, Brooklyn, New York
- Artist of the Week, Pierogi gallery, Brooklyn, New York
- Another Circle, Emerson Resort, Mt Tremper, NY
- It’s a Wonderful Tenth, Sideshow Gallery, Brooklyn, New York
-Pierogi Flat Files, Pierogi Gallery, Brooklyn, New York.
-Its A Wonderfull Life, Sideshow Gallery, Brooklyn, New York.
-War is Over (Again), Sideshow Gallery, Brooklyn, New York
-Span, Collaborative Concepts, Beacon, New York2004
-Artist of the Week, Pierogi Gallery, New York
-Brooklyn Gravity Racers: Pierogi a Go-Go, Pierogi Gallery, NY
-Selected Works: Seven New York Artists, Bickett Gallery, Raleigh, NC
-The UFO Show, Yarra Sculpture Space, Melbourne, Australia
-Merry Peace, Sideshow Gallery, Brooklyn, NY
-Study, Curated by James Hyde, Parker’s Box, Brooklyn, NY
- Alumni Show, curated by Bill Jensen, New York Studio School Gallery, NY
- Merry Peace, Sideshow Gallery, Brooklyn, NY
- 20/02, Rotunda Gallery, Brooklyn, NY
- 25th Anniversary Selections Exhibition, The Drawing Center, NY, NY<> - Night of a 1,000 Drawings, Artists Space, NY, NY
- to SCALE, Rotunda Gallery, Brooklyn, NY
- Picturing, Gallery Korea, NY, NY- Beckoning Vision, New York Studio School Gallery, NY, NY- Summer Exhibition, The Painting Center, NY, NY2000
- Garry Nichols and Arthur Simms, Sideshow Gallery, Brooklyn, NY
- Raw Seeing: Alumni Drawings - Celebrating a Decade of Alumni Exhibitions, 1988-1998 New York Studio School Gallery, NY, NY1999
- Drawings, Amarin Cafe, Brooklyn, New York, NY
- PIEROGI 2000 Flat-files Exhibition, Travels England and Europe, Continuous Exhibition, Pierogi flat-files, Brooklyn, NY- Seeing Money: Five & Ten, Rotunda Gallery,
Brooklyn NY- Painting and Drawing from Nature, Abby Goldstein and Garry Nichols,Open Studio, Brooklyn, NY- Garry Nichols: Charcoal Drawings andWatercolors, Exhibition Window, Atlantic Avenue, Brooklyn, NY- Chautauqua Faculty Exhibition, Chautauqua Institution, Chautauqua, NY
1997- Current Undercurrent: Working in Brooklyn, Brooklyn Museum of Art Brooklyn, NY- Some Artists We Like, Robert Steele Gallery, New York, NY- Intimate Universe
(Revisited): curated by Michael Walls, James Howe Fine Arts Gallery, Kean University, Union, NJ and Robert Steele Gallery, New York, NY
- Closed and Open Form: curated by Michael Brenson, New York Studio School Gallery, NY
- Coming to Form: British and Australian Artists in New York, MMC Gallery, Marymount Manhattan College, NY, NY
- Paint, Rotunda Gallery, Brooklyn, NY - Artists Select, Artists Space, New York, NY
My paintings have evolved into landscapes of symbols collected from direct observations of nature, and from specific memories of my childhood in Tasmania. Weaving through this landscape, are images derived from convict carvings on the Ross Bridge in Tasmania. The paintings, structured with pathways like children’s mazes lead the viewer to be lost in my landscape, populated with plant forms, ships, symbols and the ancient heads and shapes. Following the pathways creates a displacement in time and place.